Bakewell Shortbread Slices
A crumbly shortbread base, a sweet raspberry jam centre and a decadent frangipane layer on top – what more could you want?
Servings: 16 Slices
- 180 g unsalted butter
- 80 g caster sugar (golden or white)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180 g plain flour (all-purpose)
- ½ jar raspberry or cherry jam (roughly 175g)
- 1 handful flaked almonds (sprinkle on before final bake)
- 200 g icing sugar (plus 1tbsp water, to top after cooling)
Pre-heat oven: 180°C / 160°C (fan) / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until fully combined.
Sift in the flour and stir together until a dough forms.
Line the 9inch square baking tin with greaseproof paper and press the shortbread dough into the base to create an even layer, either using your hands of the back of a spoon.
Use a fork to prod a few rows of shallow holes in the base to help cook evenly, and bake in the oven for 25mins until lightly golden.
While the base bakes, make the frangipane by first creaming together the butter and sugar.
Beat in the eggs and almond extract until fully combined.
Sift in the flour and fold in with the ground almonds to the mix.
Once the shortbread base has baked, spread a thick layer of jam over the half-baked base, leaving an inch gap from the edges.
Carefully add the frangipane layer on top of the jam layer and, if using, sprinkle with flaked almonds.
Bake for a further 30mins, until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.
While the Bakewell cools in the tin, if choosing to top with fondant icing, mix together the icing sugar with a little warm water until smooth. Gradually add water to the icing sugar a teaspoon at a time until you have a thick but spreadable consistency.
Pour the icing over the cooled Bakewell and allow to set before slicing.
- I like the taste of golden caster sugar in this recipe, but you can easily swap this for white caster sugar if you don't have any golden.
- I've use the icing topping rather than flaked almonds (as shown in the pictures), but either works a treat (or both!!).
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 44mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg